In Owerri Building Collapse, Corp Member Die

In Owerri Building Collapse, Corp Member Die 

Sorowfully, One of the two National Youth Service Corps members who were in a coma after being trapped for eight hours in a collapsed building in Owerri, Imo State, has died.

The late, Chinedu Isiogugu, comes from Anambra State,he died of cardiac arrest around 3am on Monday after doctors carried out a successful surgery on his two damaged legs.

The death of the 26-year-old Isiogugu brings the casualty figure to five after two babies and two adults were confirmed dead on Sunday.

A source at the hospital where he died told Punch that his female counterpart survived, adding that her condition was stable.

She said:

“We lost the male corps member around 3am on Monday. It was painful because a team of eight medical experts battled for hours to save his life.

“We were happy that the surgery was successful, but he developed cardiac arrest and died moments later.

“The female corps member is getting better, though she is in pains right now. We don’t want to tell her that her colleague is dead because that could worsen her condition.”

The remains of the deceased corps member have been taken to his hometown by his sibling.

Punch visited the hospital and they report that the female corps member, Ngozi Oformezie, who also hails from Anambra State, was groaning in pains as she cried.

Responding to an enquiry about her identity, she said:

“I am Ngozi Blessing. I studied Adult Education from the University of Nigeria, Nsukka. I am from Anambra State. I am in pains. My legs are killing me. Please don’t go. Help me. Jesus, please save me.”

A source at the hospital said the pains were as a result of the long hours she was trapped in the rubble, adding that she would recover soon.

Another survivor, Chukwudi Anoruo, said it was by God’s grace that he survived the collapse.

Anoruo, a 40-year-old native of the Ehime Mbano Local Government Area of Imo State, said his wife and six children had left for his father-in-law’s house on the day the building collapsed.

He said:

“I will be going to church to specially thank God when I fully recover. All my family members could have perished if they were around that night. Luckily for me, they left for my father-in-law’s house.”

The Imo State Commissioner of Police, Chris Ezike, could not be reached for comment on the development, Punch adds.

However, a senior police officer, who did not want to be identified, confirmed the death of the corps member.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.